Mathew OlsonCreate Your Badge

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Day in the city

First week of school wore me out! But not enough to keep me from playing on the weekend! I am in Africa of course i am not going to sit around on a weekend!!! So a trip to the capital it was. I meet Alexis there...we had a map,  our creative minds and all day to do whatever we pleased ! First i saw a tall beautiful building and told Lex that was our first destination. We got there and i took a picture. Then i heard man say "come here!" I looked and it was a rather built man in a police uniform.  We were told not to talk to men dressed like police, especially in a big city,  because most of them are fake and will just steal our money.  I responded,  a little more harshly than expected,  "what! " and kept walking... the man didn't like that and demanded i come to him. He now had two other men with guns(i am sure they were fake ) i stopped and the mam came showed me his  badge and yelled at me for a good ten min saying i had no respect and that i was in his country and he could but me in jail for taking pictures of a national building and  could be charged as a spy.... i stayed calm and collected. I explained myself and with bravado stated "that maybe they should post signs so tourists would know they cant take pictures! " he told me to get out of the way. We did!  Once Alexis fears of being put in jail passed, she couldn't quit laughing. The funny thing is as we went around the block we were asked if we Wanted a tour of the exact same building.  We took the offer!  it was a gorgeous national conference center.
Our next adventure was losing a drug addict and lunatic that both tried to give me a hug and purposed to me.  She was much more scarier than that cop!  Hands down! We ended up in a huge street market.  A guy pointed out my glasses and said he wanted to trad for them. Told him they were from New York and were about 300  US Dollars and put them in my bag for safe keeping ... obviously i exaggerated... just a little.  I actually did buy them from New York but only for 5 dollars :-) He offered some beautiful things worth a lot... but i had to turn him down because he wouldn't give me what i wanted.  I drive a hard bargain and those men soon realized it was not i who would be begging but them.  We had a blast barter ring and walked away with some great things for a great price. 
We were all worn out by this point and went and bought ice-cream and sat in the city park to rest! The day was well spent and it was good to be with Alexis, we laughed all day long over stupid funny things and the fact that we were basically the only white people in this big city... and we owned it!!!!
The International Business Conference Center! (aka national building) if they really want me in jail guess they had there chance!
completely drenched in sweat! part of life here!

1 comment: