Mathew OlsonCreate Your Badge

Sunday, June 30, 2013

When one door closes another one opens

After spending a few days on the beautiful beaches of Mombasa; soaking up the sun on the brilliant white beaches, swimming in the warm crystal clear Indian Ocean, and Dancing the night away with some of the greatest volunteers and friends I have ever meet, I returned to Kitengela eager to spend my last few days playing with the school kids. It was unfortunate that in my last days here the public school teachers all across Kenya would banned together and go on strike because they are under paid. Yes, sadly that means no school, no kids and for me...no saying good bye to my school kids! I have been extremely disappointed and have felt empty....I don't want to leave without saying good by and letting each kid know how proud I am of them and the hope I will always have for them! Well, I decided to write letter to each class expressing my feelings and memories we have shared. I literally spent almost a whole day writing letters! It was totally worth it and at least I feel some closure.

But when one door closes in life, God always opens another one! I was able to attend a private school and help the kids there! It was again another incredible experience! This private school is funded by a single teacher and is a fantastic learning environment for the kids! The are feed, teachers teach classes, the school is kept clean, and a lot of extra-curricular activities are provided for them. These may seem like simple necessities for schools in America, but for Kenya....the are extremely rear to find. I look forward to my last few days spent in the presences of these soon-to-be pace-setters of the world!

SWAG Ni O!

He's got Attitude and is going places in life! No one can tell this little man what to do

My St. Louis Gang. They are Brilliant

What can I say, We love pictures!

He is like me but...black...and much younger...




These kids are definitely going places in life!

We read the Dr. Seuss Classic! They got so many meanings out of the story!
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”  We are the ones who determine our own destinies! We can be the "winniest-winners" if we choose to be!
but sometimes we wont be the best and “You'll get mixed up, of course, as you already know. You'll get mixed up with many strange birds as you go. So be sure when you step. Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act. Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. And never mix up your right foot with your left.” Life is hard and juggling it all can be rather difficult but...its our choice what we make of each day! So remember....“You're off to Great Places!Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting,
So... get on your way!” 


Greg and Alan what me to share with my friends and family that they know with faith we can all move mountains! The also promise that one day they will visit us in America, but wont stay because they want to continue helping Kenya. Oh the Places we can all go!


 They Inspire me!
Also, I would like to give a shout out to Olivia from China for letting me borrow her camera and memory stick to capture some of these great memories! Leave it to the Chinese to save the game! So Clutch!!! Thanks Olivia!

No comments:

Post a Comment